Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Moore Free Library contribute to the mission of the Library by helping to raise funds for special projects and programs to supplement the operating and capital expenses of the Library. The Friends charge no dues and there is no “official” membership list. Anyone who helps in any way with furthering the aims of the group is considered a “Friend.” Meetings take place several times a year. Announcements of upcoming meetings are posted on the library website and appear in the monthly newsletter.
We are always looking for volunteers to assist at our primary fundraising events – the Moore Free Library Book Sales.
We hold two book sales each year, one in the summer and the other at the Newfane Heritage Festival in the fall. We are always looking for folks to help with: Sorting and pricing books, setting up, selling and packing up at the end of the sale. No experience is necessary, just an interest in supporting the library.
The next book sale will be on Saturday, October 7, 2023 during the Newfane Heritage Festival.
Other ways in which you may help:
- Cultivating and weeding flower beds;
- Undertaking handyman-type chores, such as changing lightbulbs, small repairs, touch-up painting;
- Offering a presentation to the community of your special expertise.
Here are projects and other contributions that the Friends’ fundraising and volunteer efforts have made possible:
- Shelving in the fiction and Vermont rooms;
- Circulation desk;
- Track lighting and comfortable chairs in the fiction room;
- All-in-one printer/copier/scanner;
- Software for our automation project;
- Desk chairs for the circulation area and computers;
- Book lift for carrying book donations from the first floor to the sorting rooms upstairs;
- Floor covering for the entrance hall and circulation room;
- Circulation room renovation: ceiling, lights, painting, floor covering;
- Re-design and landscaping of the north garden by the weeping cherry tree;
- New plantings in front of the Library;
- Air conditioners for sorting rooms;
- Contributions to the Librarian’s annual programs budget;
- Postage for Interlibrary Loans of books for the Book Group;
- Tool kits available for check-out.